What you will need:
1 package spicy Italian sausages
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onions
1 32oz carton low sodium vegetable broth
1 can stewed tomatoes, plus 1 can water
2 small zucchinis
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried fennel seeds
1/2 tsp crushed red peppers
salt to taste
What to do:
*preheat oven to 375
1. Place sausages in dutch oven and cook in oven for 40min, turning sausages half way through cooking.
2. While sausages are cooking chop carrots, onions and celery, my Mirepoix.
3. When sausages have finished cooking remove from pan and set aside.
4. Place dutch oven on stop top and turn heat to low/medium. Leave sausage drippings inside and add in carrots, onions and celery. Cook until they have sweated a bit.
5. Next add in vegetable broth and turn to low heat, cook for 10 minutes.
6. Cut up sausage, half lengthwise, then slices. Add into broth with tomatoes and 1 can water.
7. Slice zucchini into match stick size pieces and set aside.
8. Season with oregano, fennel seeds, crushed red peppers and salt. Cook for about an hour on low heat with a lid on.
9. Finally add in zucchini and cook for another 15 minutes.
10. Taste, add salt if necessary and serve. Remember soup always taste better the second day.
I literally left the pot on for many hours- but I was just hanging around the house. If you have time, keep it on low and let sit for a while.